The British Grassland Society acts as a forum for those with an active interest in the science and practice of grassland and forage crop production and utilization. Being a member provides a unique opportunity to meet and discuss a wide range of relevant topics with the most able scientists and practitioners in the country. The society brings together research workers, farmers, advisers, technical specialists and senior members of the agricultural supply industry.
Note: Corporate membership is covered separately. Please call the BGS office on 01270 616464 or use the contact page on our website.
INDIVIDUAL BGS MEMBERSHIP PRIVILEGES
Members paying an annual subscription are entitled to the following privileges:
- Copies of Grass and Forage Manager magazine – 4 issue’s a year. For details click here
- Copies of Grass and Forage Science, plus online access on request, (except Retired Members who do not receive paper copies or online).
- Copies of BGS Newsletters sent via e-mail when possible or otherwise by post
- A discount on books published by BGS. See our Online Shop
- To pay a special members rate for conferences and events – valid for up to 2 family members or business staff. To view up and coming events click here
- Access to the members’ area of the BGS website
- Free web access to all BGS Research Conference series proceedings
- Invitations to BGS free and paid for events (via e-mail or post)
- To join BGS Special Interest Group Mailings (e.g. Free N Newsletter)
- To enter the UK Grassland Farmer of the Year competition regional round where no local affiliated society exists for that member
- To vote at an Annual General Meeting
- To stand for election as a BGS Regional Representative or Trustee
- To nominate a person as a BGS Regional Representative or Trustee.
BGS AFFILIATION PRIVILEGES
New groups welcome, please call the BGS office on 01270 616464 or use the contacts page of our website.
Affiliated societies or discussion groups paying an annual subscription are entitled to:
- One free issue of each issue of Grass and Forage Farmer per member of that society
- An entry to the regional round of the UK Grassland Farmer of the Year competition
- Access to free events organised by BGS – advertised in Grass and Forage Farmer
- Public Liability insurance cover for activities under the BGS policy at a level determined by BGS Trustees – details can be advised by the BGS office
- Society listed on the BGS website, with contact details and enquiries from potential new members forwarded from the BGS office
- Society to nominate one member to vote at an Annual General Meeting
- A member may stand for election as a BGS Regional Council Member
- Society may nominate a person as a BGS Regional Council Member or Trustee
- Special members rates will be available for events when the affiliated society is the host of that meeting (e.g. Summer Meeting)
- A speaker list updated annually is available to society Secretaries and Chair
- Calendar items and other content included on the BGS website - send details to the BGS office