Benefits of Local Societies
BGS currently have 48 active affiliated local grassland societies and discussions groups.
Affiliation is open to any discussion group or society with an interest in grass and forage.
Affiliated societies or discussion groups paying an annual subscription to BGS are entitled to the following benefits:
- Grass and Forage Manager – One free copy of each issue per member of that society.
- Grassland Farmer of the Year Competition – Entry for one member into the regional round of the competition.
- BGS website – The Society will be listed on the BGS website. Enquiries from potential new members will be forwarded to local societies by the BGS office.
Calendar items and other content can be included on the BGS website – send details to the BGS office
- Annual General Meeting – The society can nominate one member to vote at the BGS AGM.
- Speaker List – A list of potential speakers for meetings, collated by BGS, is available to local society secretaries.
- Special members rates will be available for events when the affiliated society is the host of that meeting (e.g. Summer Meeting)
- BGS Regional Council Member – A member may stand for election as a BGS Regional Council Member. The Society may nominate a person as a BGS Regional Council Member or Trustee.
- Public Liability insurance cover for activities under the BGS policy at a level determined by BGS Trustees – details can be advised by the BGS office
New groups are welcome. If you are interested, please call the BGS office on 01785 450284 or use the Contact us page of our website.
Local society events
One of the benefits of the affiliation of Local Societies to BGS is cover by the BGS indemnity insurance for events. With respect to any planned events, a risk assessment should be carried out prior to it taking place.
Guidance on completing risk assessments can be found here:
HSE risk assessment England/Wales/Scotland
HSENI risk assessment Northern Ireland
An example of a BGS event risk assessment is available upon request from the BGS office.
Agrovista UK Limited is a leading supplier of agronomy advice, seed, crop protection products and precision farming services. Working in partnership with arable, forage, fruit, vegetable, horticultural and amenity sectors, Agrovista is committed to helping customers manage their businesses more efficiently and more profitably. We are dedicated to our company purpose - releasing agronomic potential. With roots originating more than 60 years ago, Agrovista offers a unique blend of local experience, research-based expertise, customer-based knowledge and trusted relationships; practising values of honesty, integrity and fairness across all aspects of the business. Agrovista also embraces care for the wider environment, with an understanding of the important role now played by all those who manage the land, through dedicated initiatives such as Agrovista Soil Health and Agrova Decision Support services.
Visit the Agrovista website
Visit the Animax website
Visit the Barenbrug website
Berry BPI Agriculture
Visit the Berry bpi website
Visit the LKAB minerals website
Visit the CF Fertilisers website
Visit the Corteva website
Visit the DLF Seeds website
Visit the Genus ABS website
Twitter: @wearegerminal @GerminalUKAgri
Visit the Germinal website
Visit the Lallemand website
Visit the LIC website
Visit the Limagrain website
Visit the Nufarm website
Visit the Nutricor website
Twitter: @ecosyl @cuttoclamp
Visit the Ecosyl website